Seiten

19. Mai 2013

Pineapple Spelt Salad



Today it is time for some pineapple love, don’t you think? I mean, it is getting summer after all, and for a European like me there is nothing that ssys SUMMER more than the word and taste of PINEAPPLES!
Juicy, sweet, delicious pineapples get into my belly. Now!
I have been buying super sweet pineapples from Costa Rica (they are the best!) lately and it really helped me to get away from mealy apples and dry oranges and still get a propper Vitamin C fix in the mornings.
Breakfast is getting exctiting again, guys.
As does lunch because pineapple is a multitalent and great in all kinds of savory dishes, too.
Take Toast Hawaii, for example. Oh yeah. Thanks's Mum for bringing that into my life ;).
Although grilled pineapple is still my favorite way to eat this gorgeous fruit, this salad is now a close second.

You can either adapt the recipe as it is or add more mint and basil to taste. Just wait until the salad has chilled for at least an hour because the mint flavor will intensify as it sits.

I served the salad alongside a fresh Coconut Pea Soup (recipe in my next post!) and it made a great summery meal.




Pineapple Spelt Salad


Ingredients:
(Serves 4 as a side)

1 cup spelt groats

240g (1 1/3 cups) cooked chickpeas
1 ½ cups pineapple, chopped
5 handfuls spinach, chopped
1 Tbsp safflower oil
1 Tbsp lemon juice
8 mint leaves, minced
a small handful of basil leaves, minced
Salt and pepper, chilli sauce to taste

Cook spelt groats after packaging directions and drain in a colander. Put into a salad bowl immediately and mix with chopped spinach. Add the remaining ingredients and stir well.
As always this salad tastes best after a few hours of chilling time.



Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen