Seiten

7. April 2013

Buckwheat Muesli and a Fruit Salad Recipe with a Secret Sauce


I am a person that changes her  mind quite frequently. That can be very exhausting at times (trust me!) but for me it is a way to stay flexible and not get stuck in a rut.
Yesterday I gave you a recipe for braised lentils, which are admittedly more fall appropriate. But as the weather changes, my mood and cravings follow along.
Today we had great blue skies and the temperatures rose up to 12°C! I even laced my running shoes and went for a run, in what seems like ages!
I have a very simple imagination of the tropics. 12°C are by no means anywhere near the tropics, of course, but hey, I am German, and I am glad to see the sun again.
That’s why I made a little fruit bowl for myself today, threw in some exotic fruit and it almost felt like summer. It is no more than a summer breeze, but that’s ok with me for today.
Fruit is never a bad choice, especially if it comes alongside some creamy sauce and crunchy homemade granola.
Don’t mind , that I call this granola “muesli”, it’s a German thing I guess. Just sounds more familiar with me.

Short introduction to buckwheat:
Ancient grain that was first cultivated in southeast Asia and slowly found its way to Europe.
Despite its confusing name, buckwheat is not related to wheat! It is actually gluten free and a sibling of my beloved rhubarb. Strange relation, but well.
I love buckwheat because of its nutritional profile (very high in iron!, selenium and zinc) and its nutty taste and crunch.
I especially adore it in any kind of muesli, as an addition to salads or veggies and in the form of soba noodles (if they just weren’t that expansive)!



The recipe:


The muesli is fairly simple and works like a breeze. I love to use buckwheat in mine (for reasons mentioned above) and try not to add granulated sugar.
I am in love with dates as a natural sweetener and they also work great here.
Coconut oil is another ingredient I cannot get enough of so it was no surprise that it found its way into this muesli, too.
Do I have to mention chia seeds? Great stuff, full of omega fatty acids. Get into my belly!
I also added dried apricots, because firstly they are a great source of potassium, and secondly I like them. Make sure to not buy sulfurized ones but feel free to add in any other dried fruit you prefer.




Buckwheat Muesli


Dry:
1 ½ cup (310g) buckwheat groats
1 cup (100g) oats
1 cup (120g) coarsely crushed almonds
¼ cup (40g) chia seeds
1 tsp cinnamon
Pinch of salt

Wet:
¼ cup (60g) dried dates
¼ cup (60ml) apple syrup or Agave
2 Tbsp coconut oil
2 Tbsp water

½ cup (80g) dried apricots, chopped

Preheat oven to 175°C (350°F).
In a large bowl mix all dry ingredients and set aside.
Put all wet ingredients into a food processor and blend until smooth. It does not have to be perfectly smooth, though (Remember my old food processor?), so don’t worry.
Add wet to dry ingredients and stir well to combine. Quickly f0ld in chopped apricots and spread muesli on a lined baking sheet.
Bake at 175°C for 20 minutes or until golden brown. To allow even browning, stir several times while baking.
Let cool completely before transferring into an airtight container.

Tastes great as a crunchy addition to fruit salads, your bowl of oatmeal or on its own with  a dollop of yoghurt.

Fruit Salad with a Secret Sauce


Salad (Serves 2):

1 banana
1 apple
1/2 mango
1 kiwi
1 orange

Sauce:
2 Tbsp Almond butter
4 Tbsp Orange juice
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1/3 tsp cinnamon

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen